The above photo was provided by 3NERGY.
From 70 W to 70 kW, customers continue to make giant steps in size reduction
OTTAWA, Ontario, May 10, 2017 – Everybody knows GaN can increase efficiency and reduce size. However, seeing is believing. By replacing legacy MOSFETs with gallium nitride (GaN) transistors, GaN Systems’ customers improve system performance by increasing power densities up to 5 times over conventional methods, while simultaneously reducing system weight and cost. From May 16-18, visitors to GaN Systems’ Booth #9-511 at PCIM Europe 2017 (Power Conversion and Intelligent Motion) will see GaN transistors in dozens of customer systems that set previously unattainable, record power density levels. These systems are used in applications that span consumer, industrial, transportation, and wireless power transfer markets.
At PCIM, GaN Systems will demonstrate customer-built, commercial systems that are optimized by state-of-the-art GaN transistors for applications such as DC/DC converters, energy storage systems, EV traction inverters, power modules, PWM motor controllers, LED drivers, and more. The systems visitors will see include:
- – An airborne drone flying with power generated only by a 150 W wireless transmitter operating at 13.56 MHz
- – A 200W AC adapter 1/3rd the size of conventional adapters
- – A half-bridge topology comparison that shows how GaN outperforms SiC
- – A best-in-class, AirFuel Alliance-based wireless transmitting platform capable of charging multiple phones, pads, and laptops
- – A universal motherboard and four daughterboard platform for easily evaluating GaN transistor performance in any half-bridge-based topology
- – A 48 V DC-DC evaluation kit that shows outstanding efficiency, and is ideal for automotive and datacenter applications
- – A 3-phase motor controller that operates at optimal efficiency
- – A highly efficient, 3 kW PFC reference design and full documentation for GaN Systems’ GS66508T transistors
- – Several on-board chargers that are 3X the power density of conventional chargers
- – A high power half-bridge building block equipped with an IMS board, eight GaN transistors and a matching driver card, forming a complete building block for high power systems
- – An ultra-small, highly integrated 1 MHz LED driver, constructed in a novel architecture that can only be enabled by GaN
Company representatives will be available at PCIM to provide details about using GaN transistors, and to describe the customers’ products on display.
This 200 W AC adapter provided by 3NERGY was among GaN Systems’ products, systems and demonstrations displayed at PCIM Europe 2017. Its tiny form factor is 1/3rd the size of conventional adapters.