GaN Systems, the global leader in GaN (gallium nitride) power semiconductors, today announced its participation at PCIM Europe Digital Days,” the world’s leading exhibition and conference for power electronics, taking place May 3–7, 2021. CEO Jim Witham will join other GaN experts in a panel session moderated by Bodo’s Power Systems, “WBG GaN: Serving Low to Line Voltage,” on May 5, 2021 to illustrate how GaN power semiconductors have become the fundamental building block in power electronics.
GaN Becomes the Centerpiece of the Power Electronics Revolution
The evolution of GaN has been captured at PCIM throughout the years and 2021 is no different. Sessions and company innovations point to the advances and explosive increase in the demand for GaN power semiconductors and adoption. This is demonstrated by GaN Systems’ announcements that its high volume GaN transistors have fallen below $1.00 USD, shipment of its 20 Millionth GaN transistor, and a 40X capacity expansion to be completed in 2021.
In the last year, GaN Systems has shown significant customer growth and innovative power system design applications, including:
- The debut of new 650V, 60A transistors for the automotive market designed to exceed automotive reliability standards including AEC-Q101 qualification and GaN Systems’ AutoQual+™ testing and qualification.
- The industry’s smallest and smartest 100W dual USB-C intelligent PD GaN charger from GaN Systems which achieves outstanding efficiency, power density, and circuit intelligence.
- A reference design for the highest power density, high efficiency GaN-based 65W Active Clamp Flyback (ACF) charger in collaboration with Silanna Semiconductor.
- A new 3kW full-bridge LLC resonant converter design to pair with its 3kW bridgeless totem-pole PFC reference design for data center applications that exceeds the 80 PLUS Titanium standard for power supply units.
Focused Attention on Data Center, Automotive, and Industrial Applications
- Data Centers: GaN power transistors, which have made their way into data center power supplies, can reduce energy costs by more than $100 million annually and reduce CO2 emissions by nearly one million metric tons for a large data center operator. In addition to data center power supplies, significant savings are also attained in 5G power applications and cryptomining power supplies.
- Automotive: GaN is being designed in a wide range of automotive applications from onboard battery chargers (OBC), DC/DC converters, and traction inverters. GaN can save electric vehicle auto manufacturers $1.1 billion in lower materials and battery costs and increase driving range (km) by 6%, reducing and question of driver range anxiety.BrightLoop incorporates GaN Systems transistors in its family of DC/DC converters (which is half the size and weight of the company’s first-generation product family) designed for the demanding environment of e-motorsport racing.
- Industrial: GaN is making waves in areas such as wireless charging of robots and drones, industrial power supplies, and motor drives. Siemens is a great example of how some of the world’s largest companies are innovating with GaN. The company released a GaN-based motor drive as part of its Simatic Micro-Drive product line, offering increased efficiency and faster motor response time commenting that GaN has brought about a breakthrough in drive technology. The mini drive is only two centimeters wide and requires no active cooling.