As engineers within the design community read and learn about new products and topologies, they become skeptical about the promises for improved operating characteristics. The promise of a step-function improvement with GaN in audio systems could be classified as one of these scenarios. However, with the GaN Systems Stereo Class-D Amplifier system solution, the audio industry is pleasantly surprised to see that GaN is keeping its promise.
The GaN Systems solution consists of a GaN FET-based LLC SMPS with PFC and Stereo 200W/8-ohm Class-D Amplifier. The SMPS uses the GaN Systems GS66506T for both PFC Front-End and LLC Half-Bridge Back-End and the GaN Systems GS61008P for each of the four Half-Bridge Output Stages of the Class-D Amplifier.
This whitepaper reviews the GaN Systems audio evaluation kit using the standard set of industry
performance and validation tests. These tests include, but were not limited to:
- Performance Specification Testing – Power Output and Efficiency
- Performance Characterization Testing – THD vs Power, Frequency; Frequency Response; Noise Floor
- Efficiency and Thermal Performance Testing – Amplifier and SMPS
- Amplifier Robustness Testing – 4-ohm, 8-ohm Performance; 200W into 8 ohms, 300W into 4 ohms; Current-Limit Functionality
- Amplifier Sonic Quality Testing – Listening Test, Sonic Quality Assessment