See, Feel, and Hear the Difference with GaN Class-D Amplifier and Companion SMPS
As engineers within the design community read and learn about new products and topologies, they become skeptical about the promises for improved operating characteristics. The promise of a step-function improvement with GaN in audio systems could be classified as one of these scenarios. However, with the GaN Systems Stereo Class-D Amplifier system solution, the audio industry is pleasantly surprised to see that GaN is keeping its promise.
The GaN Systems solution consists of a GaN FET-based LLC SMPS with PFC and Stereo 200W/8-ohm Class-D Amplifier. The SMPS uses the GaN Systems GS66506T for both PFC Front-End and LLC Half-Bridge Back-End and the GaN Systems GS61008P for each of the four Half-Bridge Output Stages of the Class-D Amplifier.
This whitepaper reviews the GaN Systems audio evaluation kit using the standard set of industry
performance and validation tests. These tests include, but were not limited to:
- Performance Specification Testing – Power Output and Efficiency
- Performance Characterization Testing – THD vs Power, Frequency; Frequency Response; Noise Floor
- Efficiency and Thermal Performance Testing – Amplifier and SMPS
- Amplifier Robustness Testing – 4-ohm, 8-ohm Performance; 200W into 8 ohms, 300W into 4 ohms; Current-Limit Functionality
- Amplifier Sonic Quality Testing – Listening Test, Sonic Quality Assessment